Autumn Recipe: Creamy Carrot Cashew Ginger Soup
Ahhhh…Autumn is here! I don’t know about you, but this is my favorite season! Time for Broncos games, hunting for Hatch Green Chili’s off Federal and driving up to the mountains to see the gorgeous leaves change! It is also the preliminary season to the holidays….when we start eating every piece of sugar in sight. So, why not eat some healing foods while we can?! Besides Green Chili, Creamy Carrot Cashew Ginger Soup (it’s a mouthful, isn’t it?) is one of my favorite foods to make in Fall. Not only is it healing, but it’s delicious and east to make!
First, the ingredients:
- 2 pounds peeled carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened light canned coconut milk
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger (peel ginger with spoon, then grate)
- 3/4 cup unsalted toasted cashews
Then, the method:
- Place carrots in a saucepan with broth & coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover & cook until carrots are tender (about 15-20 minutes)
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet. Add diced onion & cumin. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ginger & salt. Cook another 10 minutes stirring often.
- Combine carrots, cashews & onion mixture. Blend on a soup setting in batches. Reheat if needed before serving. Top with peeled carrots & chopped cashews.
Viola, Autumn is served! Enjoy!